For this activity I chose to dig into Google Forms. Our middle school students all have gmail accounts and faculty is being encouraged to harness the technology we have to go minimize paper use.
I had two ideas in mind where I could use Google Forms. The first was to administer a multiple choice and fill in the blank quiz. The second assignment was to read an article posted online and then answer three questions using direct quotes from the text (practicing using evidence from the text and quoting from a source).
I was really impressed at how easy it was to create the Google Form. As I’m typing this now I am shaking my head at how long it took me to do it…I second guessed myself each step of the way.
- The form was easy to setup and I was able to create it exactly as I envisioned it.
- It was very easy to print out the form for students with limited computer access.
- Having everything go to a spreadsheet made it easy to calculate grades. NOTE: I am very proficient in spreadsheets. I added a column with an IF, THEN statement to calculate the number of points per question for the multiple choice questions and had it sum automatically.
- The automatic date stamp made it very easy to see who turned in late work.
- The article activity worked great for teaching students to judiciously cut and paste and be sure they were using quotation marks and their own words around the quote.
- I did NOT save paper. Since everything went to a spreadsheet there was no way to provide the students feedback on their work. In the end I created a mail merge and printed out the work so I could give the students the feedback needed.
- The first time I tried this I forgot to put a name field so I had no idea who completed the quiz. Ooops! No grades for that quiz. On a positive note it was a good chance to teach students about double checking your work 🙂
In the future I would use a Google Form for something the students do not need feedback on. I feel there must be a better way to have them turn in papers I want to comment on. Anyone have any suggestions?