What a great assignment. “Pick an aspect of this topic and explore it in some depth. Dig deep in the options of one tool or service.” I often feel like I start something and never really understand it and/or don’t get as deep as I would like. So for this assignment I spent my time in Goodreads.
I’ve had a Goodreads account for a while now. I’ve added some books, written some reviews, created some tags, and joined some groups. I’ve even suggested that students read some of my reviews. But I’ve never really felt like a part of a community or like what I was writing was useful to anyone but me.
For this activity I did a number of things:
- I updated my profile. It’s been a long time since I really looked at the features offered by Goodreads and there were a lot of changes to make.
- I checked off the box “Email me when an author I’ve rated 3 or more stars does a ‘question and answer’ group on Goodreads.” I am really looking forward to seeing what happens from that. Will an author I’m interested in actually have a session? If so, how do I attend? Will it be good? Is this something I can use with my students?
- I updated the groups I was part of. I had selected a while ago to follow the Capital Region BOCES YA Group but now realize I had set my preferences to never tell me what was going on in that group. Ooops. I fixed that and joined a few new groups that I’m looking forward to following.
- I updated my feed to, hopefully, refresh my activity in a way that is meaningful but not overwhelming.
- I spent time browsing other members book reviews….well honestly I got side-tracked and then realized I could learn a lot from how other users classify their books. So I took some time to update my tags to better serve my students and others that follow me. If that hasn’t motivated you to follow me I don’t know what would 🙂
- I updated my reviews. There were quite a few books I read and just didn’t get to entering reviews for.
- I added my Read, Reading, and want-to-read shelves to the website I use with my students NemethsNook.weebly.com Now I know that what I write will be more visible to my students.
While my Goodreads account is not perfect it is certainly better than it was before this assignment. My goal now is to keep my tags and reviews current.